Friday, March 12, 2010

Set of Stumbles, the First

Before I even press the button, I want to relay a conversation that just occurred between a latte(I'm assuming it's half-caf and soy)-drinking man and green-tea woman with whom I'm sharing my table.

Woman (reaching right hand out to touch the neck of man's navy, gold-trimmed cardigan): I love that sweater!
Man: Yes. It was twelve hundred dollars.
Me ˆ(look of horror and disbelief, fighting urge to address the insanity of what I had just heard...quickly losing fight): You've gotta be kidding, right.
Man (lowering brow): This is real gold.

And...scene.

Anyway, let's start stumbling.

First stumble
www.flickr.com/photos/23522703@N06/4427285705/

I suppose this is moderately funny in a sort of contrived, no-way-an-actual-kid-really-drew-that-and-gave-it-to-a-teacher sort way. But isn't it pretty to think so?

Next stumble
www.planetebook.com/

Amazing site if you're a Kindler, which I am not. I'm still in the (apparent) minority that still enjoys picking up an actual book with actual pages. Interestingly enough, I had this very conversation last night while tending bar. A woman, who I will refer to as Jill (because it is her name) sat down at the bar, ordered a glass of wine and pulled out a book, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. She became instantly more attractive to me (went from a six to a 7.4, a marked improvement), not because I had read the book or knew anything about it, but simply because it had a cover and a series of ink-filled pages. Naturally, I interrupted her reading to discuss, well, reading. We agreed that the Kindle was a pretty cool gadget, but there's really no substitute for a real book. It has a smell and a feel that simply can't be replicated by something that requires a rechargeable battery. There's something about turning those pages, your fingers slowly, almost unnoticeably darkening, the suspense building as you see the number of remaining pages diminish. Not to mention the fact that they look pretty cool, standing in rows on shelves. On the Kindle, they're just...files.

Anyway, pretty cool collection of classics on planetebook. I looked up and down the list for a lemon, but I can't disagree with a single one of the selections (even those that bored the living hell out me. I'm looking at you, "Moby Dick.").

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, but the Kindle is just so wonderfully convenient! Thanks for the planetebook site - can't wait until the day I can download some classic Michael Lizer books on my Kindle!

    ReplyDelete